How can we reduce the complications in neurosurgical mission? (Daily Fast Fresh Cadaver Practice Help Us)
- Journal of Neurology & Stroke
Csókay András,1 Georg T Szeifert,2 Gergely Csókay MD3
PDF Full Text
- Background: The aim of this article is not to highlight the importance of the advantages of cadaver practice which is fundamental, but to emphasize 3 crucial points. The practice should be: Daily, fast (60-80 min), on fresh cadaver (died within 48 hours, continous venous bleeding present, life like plasticity). Because of development of medical diagnostic procedures in the past half century, unfortunately autopsy dissapeared, it has become unnecessary. Fresh (died within 48 hours) cadaver dissection relatively rare indaily parctice. Our original aim was to reduce the complication rate in very difficult neurosurgical cases. During our work we recognized the extreme advantages of fast daily fresh cadaver pratice; we participated on neurosurgical mission, because of poor medical circumstances where we ought to operate on the same level like in developed world.
- Method:In the past 5 years we have introduced; daily fast fresh cadaver dissections for practicing.
- Results: Considering the whole time interval operative complications for practicing intern and specialist neurosurgeons have radically decreased as we could sucessfully perform difficult microsurgery in neurosurgical mission as well.
- Conclusion: Implementing daily fresh cadaver sessions in a profession where the helpfullness of assisting surgeons is limited would be crucial. Practice on patients is being done currently, is not optimal.“Learning curve” is a “politically correct” expression, but at what cost? A lot of complications behind it. During neurosurgical missions it is impossible to solve neurosurgical difficulties without the highest level of surgical skills.
fresh cadaver dissection, neurosurgical mission, practical education